What is mould?
Mould is part of a group of common organisms called fungi. It comes in many forms but is typically white, green, grey or black. Mould spores generate in moist, damp, humid conditions and live off the proteins from timber, leather, ceilings and walls. The spores tend to germinate in the sub-floor area and evaporate up into homes where there is high moisture content. Mould thrives in damp, dark areas. That’s why you can often find it in cupboards, behind furniture and on the underside of dresser drawers.
How to remove mould from the home?
1. Dispose of mouldy porous materials that are affected by mould.
2. To clean non-porous surfaces gather your safety gear including gloves, dust mask and a stiff-bristled brush.
3. Decide on how bad the area is – bleach will work for a badly affected area but is known to have dangerous fumes, especially for those with respiratory issues and young children. Mild detergent will do a great job in most areas.
4. If using bleach: Mix together 1 part bleach with 3 parts water in a bucket. Cleaning products with bleach will also work.
5. Scrub the affected area using your chosen cleaning mixture with the brush and as much elbow-grease as required.
When killed, mould fragments into toxic particles and can be more harmful to your health than living mould so rinse the area thoroughly with water and wipe dry.
Tips for getting rid of mould for renters
1. If you’re renting and your home has mould, immediately advise your landlord and property manager in writing.
2. Understand where you’re introducing moisture into your home, then work backwards to eliminate it. For example, is it mould in the bathroom, or do you need to get rid of black mould on walls? Understanding what causes mould to grow will help prevent the problem from reoccurring.